Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The way the Himalayas makes me feel! (they knock me off my feet!)

If you read the previous blogpost written by my fair companion, you will know that Laura and I had experienced a bit of bad luck. At least, I think that's what it's called when a man who assumes you are a fare dodger holds you at gunpoint and then eats half of your candy bar as a bribe to release you from the drunk tank ... I digress. Anyways, suffice it to say Laura and I had a break coming to us and thank the stars in the sky, I believe we caught one. As the attached pictures show, we are in one of the most beautiful places on earth, and we are wonderfully happy about it.

I write to you from approximately 600 stairs north of a town high in the Himalayas called Baghsu. Yes, we do have to climb up and down 600 stairs every day, sometimes multiple times a day. And yes, it is worth it. The peaceful view, the mountain energy, the fact that our booties will eventually look better than JLo's, the incredible people we have met who are as crazy as us to make the same hike everyday, everything is great from way up here. Anyone who knows even a little bit about me will not be shocked by the next statement - Laura and I are spending the next month in this exact spot, training to become yoga teachers. It's official, Jessica will indeed take the final yoga plunge and jump to the teaching side, and I cannot think of a better place to do it. Yesterday, we had a preliminary class with our teacher Shivam. He is everything you might expect from a yoga teacher in India - he wears long, flowly, white clothing, and inexplicably starts asking us existential questions about water in the desert in the middle of meditation. I think that he will be great. The next bit is mostly for our mothers who are interested in the daily schedule - we will train Monday through the morning on Saturday for 4 weeks. We wake at 7AM for a hour long meditation followed by 2 hours of asana practice, followed by a lecture on such subjects as sanskrit and mudras and vedas and anatomy and other such subjects. After a lunch break we start again at 3PM with 2 more hours of asana practice, and at 5 have a final hour long meditation. Whew, if that doesn't satisfy our need for yoga, nothing will. It will be hard, and I am sure the coming weeks will be filled with blog posts of various energy levels, but for now we are both happy and excited.

And, this morning, Laura and I unpacked the packs for the first time in 8 plus months. What a strange feeling. What a GREAT feeling. I think committing a month to this beautiful place will be well worth it, and is probably exactly what we subconsciously need after moving around so much.

That's the big news from here. We hope everyone at home is well and listening to MJ on repeat.

Love love love and sunshine!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

0 comments: